Wednesday, June 17, 2009

One handed blog

I'm just sitting on the couch with Scarlett snoozing in my arms. :) Well, really just "arm" and not "arms." I have one hand free to type with. Thought I'd throw out a blog while I had the chance--there's a lot of other stuff that I could/should be doing, but I don't want to wake Scarlett up.

We've been trying to fatten up Scarlett lately--she's lost almost a pound in the last five weeks. We started supplementing with formula and have an appointment on Friday to see if she's gaining weight. Hopefully she'll not have lost any more (on Monday she was down to 9lbs 3 oz).

We're back and forth between disposable and cloth diapers because of the rash she gets in her diaper area. I tried stripping the cloth diapers (twice, just to be sure), a different detergent, using liners, adding baking soda and vinegar in the wash, and pretty much everything else I could think of to get the cloth diapers to work out with her, but no such luck. She'll be fine for a couple days, then her skin will get irritated. The doc says that she's just having a reaction to her pee and to use Aquaphor or Vaseline. But so far the only thing that makes it go away is using disposable diapers. So pretty much the two things that I was dead set against--formula feeding and dispoable diapers--I've had to have a change of heart about. It's funny how before you have a child, you'll think you'll do things a certain way. And then when baby comes, those ideas get thrown out the window! I also thought I'd never let my baby sleep in our bed...which Scarlett does every morning. Otherwise she's thinks it's time to be awake after her 5am feeding. Not zesty.

Today Mark and I are celebrating our third anniversary! Yay for us! Scarlett and I met up with him for lunch, and we're hoping to have a picnic dinner at the park if the weather cooperates...and maybe some mini golf. We're going out on Saturday and spending the day on Vashon Island to celebrate, too.

Scarlett's waking up, so that's all for now.

1 comment:

Our growing family said...

Great job on the one handed typing! Most of my typing is done that way now! =)
You are such a good mommy...I sure hope you aren't beating yourself up if you don't get to do the cloth diapers and such. The fact that you are meeting her needs shows that you are doing what is best for her! Keep up the awesome work mama!!!
Here are some suggestions if you want to try:
As you can't use diaper rash cream when using cloth diapers, I have tried coconut oil and loved it! The jar that I used was pretty firm, so I spooned some into a bowl and added a bit of EVOO and mixed it together. This works wonders for the rashes! It isn't painful for the babe, it has wonderful healing properties and it has a bit of a waterproof effect to keep the next potty off of it. You will have to try it! And if you do want to try cloth again, maybe you could do this with each diaper change to see if it helps...it will not hurt her at all, infact it will make her skin so super soft!
I just bought a gallon of cold pressed unrefined organic(the healthiest kind of coconut oil), but you can spend less if you buy just a small jar. AND you can use it for many things! We added it to our stirfry tonight (Tim doesn't like the stir-fry as much without it now!), you can make deodorant from it, add it to smoothies for more nutrition, Keaton and I just added on top of our popcorn in place of butter...it is such great stuff!!!
If you still want to try a version of cloth, you should consider gdiapers. I used them first, and then switched later. They didn't work best for our needs, but it is really something to consider as they are good for your baby and the world our Lord has given us. The inserts are flushable or compostable (or you could throw away).
You could also try soap nuts (they should be more delicate for sensitive skin as they are an actual nut)...I am just learning about them and I hope to try them soon after the batch of homemade soap runs out! You can find more info on passionatehomemaking.com I think she has a search feature, but she wrote about it recently, so you could probably scroll down.

If I think of any other suggestions, I'll have to let you know!
I know you are going to find just what scarlett needs as you are taking care of her so well!!! Even if it is disposable! Whatever works right!!! Loving her is the most important thing for that babe! =)
Have a wonderful mothering day!
blessings and hugs,
tarena