Mark and I just spent the weekend in Eastern Washington for our last little get away before Scarlett comes. We "went" to Leavenworth--which in reality means we spent about 4 hours there on Saturday afternoon. The rest of the time we were in Wenatchee, where there is a Holiday Inn Express that we could stay at for free using credit card points (yay free!).
It was beautiful driving through Snoqualmie Pass! The mountains were all covered with snow and looking wintery. Wenatchee was pretty too, with snow-covered apple orchards and big snowy mountains in the background. Leavenworth was looking Bavarian, which I hadn't realized before was basically a euphemism for "1970s". It was cute once the town lit up with Christmas lights at night, but it was too cold for us to enjoy the lights for too long (it was 10-ish degrees). There were a lot of shops with ugly things, the best of which were probably the 4-foot tall Victorian dolls in big, poofy, lace dresses.
The plan was to spend most of our time relaxing at the hotel, watching Christmas movies. But the hotel had something that I hadn't quite thought about or factored in--cable tv! I'm a sucker for it! We ended up watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation...and a lot of Myth Busters! We watched Ninja Warrior, too, which is an awesome Japanese show where contestants have to go through ridiculously hard obstacle courses. Most of them train really hard, but end up not making it and falling into a pool of water.
I was a little worried about the cold and driving in the snow, but neither of those things ended up being too bad. The only time the cold really got to us was during the lighting ceremony in Leavenworth, but we just popped into a shop really quick whenever it got too bad. Driving wasn't that bad, either. Of course, I didn't drive at all because I'm a wuss when it comes to driving in the snow. I think the roads were worse than I realized, but Mark didn't say anything about it, so I didn't worry too much (except when we were going through Blewett Pass--it was scary there). And it was bad once we got back to Tacoma, but everywhere else was not as bad as I expected.
We had a really great weekend. It was nice to relax with Mark and not do anything. It was nice to get away from it all and enjoy a quiet weekend while we can. It was nice to watch cable tv (just joking...um, kind of). I love going on road trips with Mark, especially to places I've never been before. It was nice to be holed up, with the snow falling outside, drinking hot chocolate and spending time with my husband. It was a really great weekend.
1 comment:
sounds like a fun trip!!! If you ever want cable to watch you can come to my house! We have pizza rolls to go with the cable. :)
-Molly
Post a Comment